Skip to content

Long Time Gone

May 19, 2013

One thing I really don’t like is when people don’t keep up their blogs and websites. I have been doing a terrible job of adding new material to my site. That is not because I have not been productive lately. In fact, I have been quite productive (at least in terms of furniture.) But, for some unknown reason I have not be able to get myself to post pictures or blog entries. So, I will try to rededicate myself to keeping things more current. If I can’t than perhaps I will stop the blog biz.

That said, here is my latest piece. It’s a bit sturdier than most of my work. Originally, my idea was to build a love seat, but it turned into a nice heavy armchair.

armchair I still need to finish the back support, which you can see in this picture is not yet oiled and has a lighter color than the rest of the piece.

The seat is made of Manila rope purchased from Knot and Rope Supply inc. I don’t like having to buy supplies, but when I do buy them I like buying from places like this. They just sell rope and rope related supplies. It looks as though it would be a really cool place to visit.

Yesterday was a glorious day in Eastern Massachusetts. The temps were in the mid-70s and clear skies throughout the morning. It was a perfect day for the Holly Hill Farm plant sale. The plant sale has actually become so successful for the farm that it has been expanded and this year it will be held over the course of two weekends. There are even a couple members only sales, so check out the Farm’s website.

The drive down to the farm was a bit of an adventure. There was a road race along Wollaston Beach, and moments before I arrived I saw the authorities place an enormous Detour sign in my lane. I was shunted off the main drag and onto the back roads of Quincy shore. That one detour sign, though very large, was not big enough to direct drivers all by itself. But the one sign was to be the only sign the city of Quincy was willing to spare for the job, and I drove with many other lost souls around and around, attempting to keep the Sun to my left and weave my way about until I ran into rte. 3a. Now, if you are in a situation wherein rte. 3a is your salvation, well, my friend, you are in a bad way. So, I arrived more than a half an hour later than I would have liked to and the farm was already bustling. I opened my shop and put out my wares and got to work on the new chair. I had quite a few visitors, some relations and some old friends and quite a few folk I’d never met before, which all suits me fine. Hillbilly at Harvard (my favorite Saturday morning radio show) was on for a full four hours and it was sunny enough that my radio could run on its solar panel rather than cranking the spring that works as a cloudy day backup. All in all it was a beautiful day, I expect it was a successful day for the farm, and weather permitting I am looking forward to making it down there again next week.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. Robert Brazile permalink
    May 20, 2013 10:25 am

    Good looking chair. The banana is a nice touch, too, but go easy with that hammer.

Leave a Reply to hollyhillrustic Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: