Skip to content

Stove in the Ox Barn – 2016

February 8, 2016

After a strange non- winter, we have gotten a couple storms in a couple weeks. Today is my second snow day of the year. I may even be able to get out into the woods next week and do a little harvesting. In the meantime, I have finished a couple recent projects. Today I finished a new pair of deerskin gloves with rabbit fur lining. Here are some pictures.  This is my third pair of deerskin gloves and first with the backs completely linded.

 

The other big project was the repair and installation of an old woodstove I found in one of the barns. When I found it, the stove was covered in rust. I thought it was a stove that had been in the Kennedy Cottage when I lived there. (The Kennedy cottage was named for Dick Kennedy a farm hand who worked for my grandfather in the late 20’s. Dick Kennedy and his wife and three children all lived in the tiny two-room cottage. Later, the cottage was used by my grandparents on weekends while they lived in Brookline before they built the “Big House”.) As I worked on the stove I realized it was not the Kennedy Cottage stove. I was surprised that, although I had all sorts of identification on the stove, I found very little on the Web about the model. I found a picture of the stove in the catalog of the Adirondack Museum, and plenty of mentions of the company that made it, but nothing about the model #124

.IMG_0607

I brought the stove to my day job, Dearborn Academy, and one of my students got very involved in refurbishing the stove. It was great to see his interest, and a great help in getting it all done. We started by taking the whole thing apart and removing the old stove putty. I was able to remove most of the bolts using Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil. I have to give credit where credit is due. The stuff worked very well. It smells as if it has some sort of solvent other than the oil, and I wouldn’t want to spend to much time working with the stuff. But it did a better job than the other penetrating oils I usually use. We used a wire brush on a corded drill to do most of the work. Actually, we used a couple different wire brushes to get into the different shaped spaces. After we cleaned off the rust we applied stove polish. This is another smelly job, but it really looked beautiful after the job was done.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I bought a new set of fasteners from the Bolt Depot and was ready for re-assembly. I took the whole thing down to the Holly Hill and put it together, sealing all the joints with stove putty.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I will not go into the trials and tribulations of getting the stove pipe, but I will mention that it was such a drag trying to figure out what I needed and where to get the parts that I very nearly gave up several times. I have been thinking of putting a small stove into my shop for years, but the odd thing is that even on the coldest days, it is always quite cozy. I have often mused that perhaps the residual heat from those beloved oxen that lived in the barn all those years ago is still emanating in that special spot. It is really only on the very coldest and cloudiest days that it is cold in that barn. But last weekend I gave the stove a test fire. The permanent stovepipe is not in place, but I put a temporary pipe up through the roof and lit a fire that was sufficient to set the stove putty and burn off the polish residue. February break is next week, and I will try to get the chimney finished. That is if there is not too much snow on the roof.

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: